Mesothelioma Blog

Future Murky For Asbestos Claim Insurers

Posted on April 21, 2014 by Cappolino Dodd Krebs LLP.

According to CNBC, the U.S. insurance industry could be as much as $9 billion short of the reserves it needs to pay asbestos lawsuit claims in the future. The news outlet reported earlier this month that insurers have paid about $53 billion in asbestos claims to this point and have about $23 billion in reserves. CNBC received the information from Fitch Ratings. According to CNBC, the insurance industry could suffer total losses of about $85 billion, meaning there may not be enough money reserved. It should be noted, however, that Fitch also said the shortfall could be as low as $2 billion, depending on future claim amounts. The first asbestos lawsuits in the U.S. were filed about 50 years ago. Exposure to the material has been linked to mesothelioma, stomach cancer, throat cancer and kidney cancer. According to Fitch, about $2.1 billion in asbestos losses were sustained by insurers in…
Read More »

Country Acknowledges Global Asbestos Awareness Week

Posted on April 14, 2014 by Cappolino Dodd Krebs LLP.

Last week marked Global Asbestos Awareness week, aimed at educating the public to the dangers of exposure. Acting U.S. Surgeon General Rear Admiral Boris Lushniak released a statement saying it is important for the country to focus on the health issues associated with asbestos-containing products. “For workers or homeowners, avoiding activities involving the disturbance of materials or products containing asbestos is the surest means of avoiding asbestos exposure,” Dr. Lushniak said in a statement. “While most individuals exposed to asbestos, whether in the home or workplace will not develop disease – there is no known safe level of asbestos exposure and precautions should be taken to protect your health.” “Apparent symptoms and disease may take many years to develop following exposure, and asbestos-related conditions can be difficult to identify. It’s important to note that tobacco smoke greatly increases your risk of lung cancer if you have already been exposed to asbestos,”…
Read More »

Men Sentenced to Prison Time For Exposing Students to Asbestos

Posted on April 7, 2014 by Cappolino Dodd Krebs LLP.

In a bizarre story catching national headlines, two men have received prison sentences for exposing high school students in Merced County, California to asbestos. U.S. District Judge Lawrence J. O’Neill sentenced the men, Patrick Bowman and Rudy Buendia III, in a Fresno federal court last week to 27 and 24 months respectively in prison. According to the Merced Sun-Star, a third man, Joseph Cuellar, filed a motion to withdraw his no contest plea and will have additional time in court this year. A year ago, the men pleaded no contest to federal charges of violating federal asbestos laws. The three men were charged criminally after they used high school students to remove the substance from a renovation project at Castle Commerce Center’s Automotive Training Center from September 2005 to March 2006, according to the Sun-Star. The men were contracted with Firm Build to provide job training to high school students;…
Read More »