The Importance of Contingency Fees in Mesothelioma Cases
Asbestos Attorneys Explain Contingent Fee Agreements
Contingency fees form the basis of the attorney fee agreements we offer at our mesothelioma firm. This means a client only pays attorney fees at the conclusion of the case if their lawyer succeeds in handling the case.
Many lawyers require a retainer fee to start a case for fees or costs, and the lawyer draws funds as the case proceeds. Most people of average means would not be able to afford a retainer fee. Therefore, the contingency fee arrangement allows people to have access to a qualified attorney, even if they have no money for a lawsuit.
Success may mean one of two things:
- The lawyer is successful in getting a favorable verdict; or
- The lawyer successfully settles the case favorably.
What is the Difference Between Attorney Fees and Court Costs?
Understanding the difference between attorney fees and costs is important. Our firm is able to advance court costs to our clients, so they pay nothing out of pocket. If we are not successful, we will not require a client to pay back advanced court costs.
- The amount billed to a client for legal services performed on his or her behalf.
- In contingency fee agreements, this amount will be a percentage of the recovery, as opposed to an hourly billing structure.
- Fees such as court filing costs, expert witness fees and other hard expenses.
- These fees are not attorney fees; they are simply the costs that are incurred by pursuing litigation.
With a contingent-fee agreement, our firm pays for the costs associated with your lawsuit, and we receive reimbursement for costs and payment for attorney fees once we are successful in your claim.
Is There Anything Important to Know about Contingency Fees?
When you are dealing with mesothelioma, we understand that medical bills can become very expensive. As such, contingency fees are an important option in ensuring that victims of mesothelioma are adequately protected under the law.
Some important things to know about contingency fees include:
- Most lawyers charge similar attorney fees for contingency cases, so it is important to go with an experienced lawyer who has tried hundreds of cases to ensure the most effective and competent representation.
- Contingency fee agreements must be in writing and signed by you and your lawyer.
- If you win or settle, the advanced court costs and attorney fee comes out of the money that is awarded to you.
- If you lose, our firm collects no money from you.
Our law firm wants the best for you and your loved ones. We understand that the expense of medical bills and hiring a lawyer after a mesothelioma diagnosis and treatment can often leave good individuals by the wayside. For that reason, we want you to know that you can speak with us and are under no obligation to make any decisions until we have fully explained your case and contingent fees to you in person.
How Do I Find out More about Contingency Fees?
The mesothelioma Law Firm of Cappolino, Dodd, and Krebs has been practicing for more than 25 years and our attorneys understand the complexities of an asbestos case. We know that you are looking for answers and it is our duty to help you find those answers and seek justice under the law. You and your loved ones do not have to live a life in which no one was held accountable for your injuries. Contact us today for a free consultation and to speak with one of our experienced attorneys.